12 minutes cooking time | 20 minutes preparation time | Serves 4 – 5
- 500 g Klein Karoo Ostrich Steak Medallions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced (seeds removed)
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 150 g young, tender garden peas
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 100 green cabbage, finely sliced
- A splash olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 ml soy sauce
- Baste steak lightly with olive oil. Season with pepper and cook in a hot griddle pan or under a preheated grill for 5 minutes on each side or until done to taste. Remove and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Cut steak into very thin slices and place in a bowl with remaining meat juices.
- Mix the garlic, chilli, red onion and spring onions together.
- Mix all the other vegetables together. Keep the two mixes separate.
- Heat a wok until very hot. Add a splash of oil. When it starts smoking, add the chilli and onion mix. Stir for just 2 seconds before adding the vegetable mix. Flip, toss and keep stirring the vegetables in the wok with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, add the ostrich steak strips. After a minute or two, the vegetables should have begun to soften. Add the soy sauce and stir in. After about 30 seconds the vegetables should smell amazing! Tip on to a serving dish and serve with sweet chili sauce on the side.
Recipe: Chef Francois Ferreira